Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rezerection of breaking (blog 15) are you qualified?

judges/who don't and what qualifications do I think are important.
 
 
Everyone that has thrown a jam at one point or another has picked
a judge (or all 3/5) judges that were probably not qualified to judge.
 
Here is something that I think qualifies judges (these 
may only be some qualifications)
 
Toprock
Footwork
Power
Tricks
Freezes
- this is a general thing I look for, granted not every
bboy has everything, there's a combination of these 
things. I feel you need toprock and footwork at a bare 
minimum. If you've been breaking 5+ years and you still 
can't do these things, then you need to look at yourself 
and realize your probably doing something wrong. Power 
tricks and freezes are in a category that's sort of odd.
Some people have tons of freezes-no power, tons of 
power-no tricks, tons of tricks and not a single freeze
and that's ok. Its one of those things that you kind of
decide what kind of breaking style you are. So if you 
have dope power then you'll prolly be a power judge. So
on and so fourth for tricks and freezes. But that's just
the start
 
Flow
Transitions
Repetition
Originality
 
Then there's flow and transitions. To me if your flow is a 
little off then it makes YOU look off as a dancer. It makes it 
hard to believe you understand flow if you can't grasp it. 
transitions is pretty much in the same category for me and 
follows the same stipulations,from footwork to freezes to tops
to power to etc and from style to style. Originality is a 
huuuuuge thing for me, everyone has ideas that they need to 
develope, if they haven't evolved into their own skin they 
probably aren't going to feel good enough to make a decision
on who's better. And repetition, I'm guilty of this in high
stress situations and it kills me. Constantly repeating every
single round is a sign to me that says I don't have a big 
arsenal so I'm going to do the same moves every round in a 
different order and try to sneak by the judges.
 
Accuracy (hit/miss ratio)
Idea/concepts
 
Some people hit their moves a lot other people don't. This 
isn't necessarily a deal breaker but it is something to 
worry about. I've been fortunate to get some expo battles 
but have screwed up some opportunities because my accuracy 
level was low and I botched my expo and made the jam that paid
me to come out look like jackasses. And someone who isn't as 
good that has dope ideas is also a potential judge. 
 
Lastly,
Personality
 
There have been so many bboys that I thought were dope bboys and 
I wanted to judge my events but they were so flaky and or rude to
me that I didn't want them at my events. I don't care if your the
worlds best bboy, your still a person just like everyone else 
and you at one point were shit.
 
Every one of those things has upto a 10pt value. (For a total of 120pts)
If I value someone under 75 points then I'd rather not have them judge.
 
 
 
 
 
 
SO, with that being said if you can't dance, and your judging other
people- you're probably a shitty judge and shouldn't judge at all.
If no one has seen you get down besides your own crew- then you 
have no basis to say your dope and better then anyone else, if no 
one knows your good then your probably not

No comments:

Post a Comment