Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rezerection of bboying (blog 1) my beginning

Sup ya'll my names mike sherwood aka bboy rez, this is the introduction to my bboying blog "the rezerection of bboying" i will be covering a wide assortment of topics from sessioning to how to throw jams to dressing and being yourself while you break and in general.
I will also be using this (the introduction) to be uploading the jam details ive been attending and how i did at each jam. i am not quoting to be the end all of breaking and bboying, i am just simply attempting to give bboys the tools to do what they want with breaking. I feel if we as bboys aren't doing what we can to make the TRUE scene of breaking known other then competiting on sytycd and those shows then we're doing just as much to kill hiphop as lil wayne is or drake.
If there is something you believe should be added or would like excentuated feel free to send me a Personal Message or email me at bboyrez@hotmail.com
But heres a general history on me
I started breaking in 2008, i took it up as a cute little thing to learn while i was in highschool. i learn a 6 step 12 step, baby freeze and that was the extent of my breaking. i was a varsity wrestler all throughout highschool and had several offers from colleges to wrestle with full rides from D1 (binghamton u)-D3 (wilks university) just to name a few. i had only learned those few steps because i wanted to be known for something more then being an awesome wrestler, i wanted to leave a true legacy behind. when there are a new breed of wrestlers growing up and coming up in the schools soon you are forgotten and they only know you as "didnt you used to wrestle?". After highschool (2008)i had once again started meeting up with the bboy crew known as Nervous Breakdown @binghamton university. I had met with them maybe once every few weeks and started calling myself bboy.
My soon to be mentor bboy fresch quickly got tired of my super cocky attitude and asked me if i wanted to go to a battle (it was called battle in the burn in Auburn,ny in the summer of 2009) after i got there i thought "yeah im still pretty good" and then the real bboys started coming in and throwin down, when i realized i wasnt the cats meow it was too late. bboy fresch (for the duration will be called Andy) had fulfilled his dasterdly plans and signed me up without me knowing. I was going to be completely content sitting back in the dimly lit dance studio knowing in my head that i was not nearly as good as i thought, but that was not the goal to teach me a lesson that every action has a reaction. He later told me "if your going to act like your that good you need to be able to rep like your that good" an instantly humbling experience to say the least. I battled bboy Beast from Rochester NY, an older bboy that really put it to me without even lifting a pinky. The only good thing about the whole thing (besides the outcome) was that someone named Matt who stopped breaking called me out and i won leaving me going home with a 1-1 win to loss for my first jam (i was happy with it)
After what to me was a crushing defeat i really decided to buckle down and be a bboy (i was in the midst of deciding to wrestle or not in college, and i was trying all my avenues before deciding).
Fast forward past a bunch of sessions,fights and jams later, Nervous Breakdown was practicing at BU and i was finally apart of the crew. We had decided to stop calling ourselves Nervous Breakdown because we weren't nervous breakdown, there was only 2 members left who even danced at all. the rest were newer bboys that really had no relation to NB at all. Many terrible terrible crew names later we came out of the dust as S.O.S. Crew an open to the public 6-0-7 crew where anyone who wanted to join us was welcome to, we were not chartered nor did we have any real desire to be. we were rogue bboys who sessioned by ourselves wherever we could find a space with people who were much like minded like us and had the same goals. when people stopped showing up we stopped inviting them, anyone who wanted to be apart of us had to work at it, there was no free loading in our crew.
At this point we had decided to start throwing jams to attempt to bring a bigger crowd to the bboy scene in binghamton that we might be able to train and mold and spread the scene (fast forward past multiple jams)
As our practice crew started to grow we had talked again about changing the crew name because again it was a different entity. Shying away from the decision and having plans to have SOS as our battle crew and the rest be our feeder crew. Members growing and coming out of the woodworks continued to be a topic of discussion......
Nervous breakdown (when i started)- 3 MEMBERS
SOS-5-10 members
Feeder crew-16 members + SOS crew
we were now trying to find a space for 25+ people and had no idea where we could go, forcing us to attempt to be chartered and form BUBS (binghamton university breakdancing squad) and mentore people. Now BUBS is run by a member of SOS (stephen chaing of flushing ny) and has some of the best session attendance i have seen in years.
2010 i was living in corning ny (near elmira) and had progressed immensely, traveling to 3-4 jams a month on average and competeting i was hurt and tore my left hamstring and was pretty much taken out of the scene for a year and dealt with many mental hardships as well as learning where friends loyalties landed and who really cared about me in general.  missing everything in terms of drama and hardships the scene was going through i came back in feb 2011 with a fresh mind and relaxed, and now that i had put myself someplace where i needed to be i could help the scene grow into what it can be, a true bboy scene that could rival any other scene. And this is where my journy begins , after many battles,thousands of sessions,and months spent talking to people about their scene and our scene and where the differnces lay, its more pronounced in the tools that people have or DONT have in alot of cases. so my blogs are going to be about giving people the tools to succeed in the bboy community and will eventually spread out into the other elements of hiphop given everything goes well

No comments:

Post a Comment